Report illegal fireworks early and celebrate safely
The Lakewood Sheriff’s Station reminds residents to celebrate the Fourth of July safely by not using illegal fireworks--and not tolerating those who do. To support the Sheriff’s efforts in suppressing the use of illegal fireworks, you can report problem locations now.
How to submit a confidential tip
If you think someone is planning to sell or use illegal fireworks, or know of a location that regularly uses illegal fireworks, call Lakewood City Hall's Illegal Fireworks Tipline at 562-866-9771, extension 7233 or email Service1@lakewoodcity.org before July 4th.
If you observe the sale or use of illegal fireworks, including on July 4th, call the Lakewood Sheriff’s Station at 562-623-3500 immediately!
• the exact address of the residence suspected of possessing and/or discharging illegal fireworks, or at least the cross street or block (the most detailed information possible is best) where the activity is happening.
• as much information as possible about the person suspected of selling illegal fireworks, their location and the violation.
Your name will remain confidential and the sooner you report this information, the better. If Deputy Sheriffs know of illegal fireworks parties in advance, that provides the best opportunity to prevent the fireworks from being used and keeping everyone in the neighborhood safe.
Undischarged illegal fireworks can be forfeited to the Lakewood Sheriff's Station or any Los Angeles County Fire Station.
Fireworks legal in Lakewood
The only fireworks that are legal in Lakewood are those that are rated “Safe and Sane.” Safe and Sane fireworks do not explode or launch into the air. They can be purchased from any authorized firework stand in California, including those in Lakewood.
Be sure to look for the fireworks sale permit and State of California Fire Marshal’s seal that all stands are required to display (see image at right).
Legal fireworks may be only discharged in Lakewood on July 4th between 10 a.m. and 11 p.m.
Fireworks bought in other states, over the Internet or from any other source are illegal.
How Lakewood is helping to discourage use of illegal fireworks
The City of Lakewood is promoting a public education and enforcement campaign with several new or enhanced approaches:
• New graphics and educational materials to explain the dangers that people pose to themselves, their children and their neighbors by using illegal fireworks.
• The city has enhanced its traditional fine of $1,000 for illegal fireworks use by adding a $250 Fire Marshal disposal fee and other charges that now double the penalty to $2,000 or more.
• The city is paying for extra Deputy Sheriffs to patrol on July 4th to shut down illegal fireworks displays and issue citations to those responsible, including property owners. Over the past two years, Deputy Sheriffs have issued over 100 citations for illegal fireworks use in Lakewood, with many citations totaling between $1,000-$2,000 or more.
“Families and neighborhood gatherings can have a good patriotic and law-abiding time with ‘safe and sane’ fireworks like fountains and cones,” says Lakewood City Manager Thaddeus McCormack. “I encourage Lakewood residents to have fun this July 4th but to not patronize events with illegal fireworks, like skyrockets, firecrackers and explosives. Those illegal fireworks can cause injury, death, house fires…and a major legal headache and cost.”
Do your part as a good neighbor to celebrate July 4th responsibly and discourage the use of dangerous illegal fireworks in Lakewood.