Safety tips for back to school
2019 start dates
• Paramount Unified School District – Wednesday, August 21
Drivers and students need to take care as Lakewood’s school districts open their doors again for the new school year.
Suggested Route to School maps are at lakewoodcity.org/backtoschool.
The maps show the location of traffic signals, stop signs and crossing guards. Lakewood is fortunate to have experienced crossing guards, some of whom have been working for the city for over 20 years.
Parents should spend time going over the route with their children, pointing out the crosswalks and intersections they’ll encounter on the way to school. Even better, parents should walk the route with their children.
Safety tips for children:
• Always stop, look all four ways and listen before crossing the street.
• Always wait for a crossing guard to control traffic before starting to cross the street.
• Cross the street only at corners and crosswalks, not between parked cars.
• Walk/ride with a group; there is safety in numbers.
• When walking on sidewalks, look out for cars pulling out of driveways.
• Bicycles must be ridden on the right side of the road, in the direction of traffic. Bicyclists must also follow the same rules of the road as motorists.
• Wear a secure-fitting, safety-approved helmet when riding a bicycle, skateboard, scooter or skates. It’s for your safety…and it’s the law for children under 18!
Safety tips for drivers:
• Do not let your children exit a car on the traffic side of your vehicle. Be aware that drivers can be cited for unsafely loading or unloading children near schools.
• Double parking for a quick drop-off is very hazardous for small children, who are invisible behind an SUV or van until they dart in front of oncoming traffic.
• The only safe way to drop off your youngsters is to pull up to the curb in front of the school or at a safe location where youngsters can walk to the end of the block and cross to school through an intersection controlled by a stop sign, signal or crossing guard.
• Reduce vehicle speed to 25 mph or slower when driving in school zone.
• Watch for crossing guards at crosswalks within school zones. Come to a complete stop while the crossing guard has their stop sign displayed and until all pedestrians have safely exited the crosswalk.
• Pass a bicyclist as you would a slow-moving vehicle. Pass with caution, and only when safe. Do not squeeze the bicyclist off the road. By law, you must allow clearance of at least three feet when passing a bicyclist. If less is available, drivers must slow down before passing.
• Look carefully for bicyclists before opening doors next to moving traffic.
• Do not overtake a bicyclist just before making a turn. Merge first, then turn.