Share the road...safely
May is Bicycle Safety Month, which reminds us that bicyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as automobile drivers and must obey the same rules of the road.
- allow at least three feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist,
- only drive in the bike lane when preparing to make a turn within 200 feet from an intersection and
- look carefully for bicyclists before opening doors next to moving traffic.
- ride in the same direction as traffic,
- stop at stop signs and signals,
- have reflectors and lighting equipment if used at night and be visible at all times and
- wear a helmet when riding a bicycle, scooter, skateboard or skates (it's the law for children under 18).
National Bike Month's Bike-to-Work Week is from May 13-19 and Bike-to-Work Day is on Friday, May 17. If you live within cycling distance to work, this would be a great way to get some exercise, have fun, and be active in the community!