Lakewood Shreds returns Oct. 30 with free shredding
The City of Lakewood and EDCO Waste Services are teaming up again to sponsor a FREE shredding event to help you prevent identity theft by securely shredding sensitive documents as well as to safely dispose of unwanted e-waste.
On Saturday, Oct. 30 from 9 a.m. to noon, Lakewood residents can take advantage of easy drive-through shredding and recycling services in the parking lot behind City Hall and Iacoboni Library.
Residents will enter the parking lot behind Iacoboni Library off of Civic Center Way and drive through to access these services:
- Shredding: Bring up to three bankers-style boxes (10” x 12” x 15”) per household of sensitive documents such as bank statements and tax records for free shredding on site. No CDs, DVDs, diskettes or other media.
- Battery disposal: Bring used household batteries (no car batteries).
- E-waste disposal: Bring TVs, monitors, computer CPUs, keyboards, printers and cell phones for environmentally safe disposal.
- Mulch: Bring bags or containers to get up to 3 cans/bags per vehicle. As a courtesy, Lakewood employees will shovel the mulch. If you plan to haul your mulch in an open truck or trailer, please remember to bring a tarp to cover your material.
IMPORTANT COVID-19 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS:
- Do not attend this event if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, have been asked to quarantine or recently travelled internationally.
- Face masks are mandatory for driver and all passengers.
- Stay in your vehicle with windows closed.
- Put items for shredding in unlocked trunk/pick-up bed of your car. Staff will NOT open passenger doors or enter the vehicle cabin.
- Be prepared to leave your boxes or containers at the site.
Please do NOT bring these items to the event, as they are hazardous waste:
- No lightbulbs of any sort.
- No household toxics like paint, insecticides, chemicals.
- No expired medications or sharps.
Hazardous waste and e-waste are accepted on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month at EDCO’s large transfer facility located at 2755 California Ave. in Signal Hill at no charge to Lakewood residents.
This event is for Lakewood residents only. The line will close promptly at noon. Be prepared to show proof of residency, with either a driver’s license or utility bill. For more information, please call 562-866-9771, extension 2140.